Tuesday 10 March 2009

"As a Woman I have no country. As a Woman my country is the Whole World."

I found this a few weeks ago while 'googling' quotes. This is something I do occasionally because...well, I have no idea. I love quotes and I especially love them when they were originally said by people I admire (or people I despise). If you can make me stop in my tracks and re-evaluate my entire day/life/purpose in a mere sentence, that is awe-inspiring.

"As a Woman I have no country. As a Woman my country is the Whole World." -Virginia Woolf

Not only am I a HUGE fan of Virginia Woolf, I love the concept that by just being a woman I am able to claim the world as my oyster, my ancestry, my partner. I am not cornered into one power-hungry nation because my parents and grandparents were here. I also love that this thought means that I am not to be labeled by my nationality, for I am a World Citizen. Not an American...nor a French Citizen, Brit, German...etc. I am of the world.

This is fitting seeing as I yearn to flee the country of my birth (although, I admit...it's harder to leave now that Barack Obama is in office.) for something more old world. A place where intellect is valued and the phrase "git r done" does not exist. Sometimes I like to blame the destruction of the world on Larry the Cable Guy. It soothes me.

Yes, there are things I will miss. I am so excited to give up my car, but I know there will be times when I don't want to lug groceries home on the bus. I will want Taco Bell. Frequently. However, when you find the place you belong...are you willing to do anything to get back there? Is it possible to love a land that should be foreign to you more than you love the soil you step on everyday?
I say yes. After all...I am a citizen of the world, not of one country. Kudos Virginia.

1 comment:

  1. I love how people are connecting through blogs...I just found your link on Chantal's blog and decided to say hello. I wonder how many of us Sept 09 MA in Publishing students are going to begin blogs? I will be - but closer to time because of my current work situation. I loved reading your posts! I'm also excited to give up my car as well as some other things around the states. If you have Facebook, look me up : Brianna Corbett on the Midland, Texas network. I'm trying to get to know people before we get over there (I love the internet!). I've already spoken to another potential MA student and she's incredible, so I'd love to chat with you! Looking forward to more blog posts. :)

    ReplyDelete